The Topicsmaster is in charge of leading the impromptu Table Topics section of the meeting.
What’s great about this role:
As Topicsmaster, you have the chance to get creative and pick an entertaining, humorous, or thought-provoking topic for the Table Topics speakers.
This role gives you the opportunity to work on your organisational, motivational, and hosting skills.
- Confirm whether there is a theme for the evening.
- Get creative! Pick a topic that Table Topics speakers will be able to speak for one to two minutes about.
At the meeting:
- When introduced, briefly explain the purpose of Table Topics.
- State the question, and then introduce the speaker. This will heighten the suspense, as everyone will be considering the question in case they are called upon!
- Keep comments in between speakers to a minimum, and watch the Time Keeper.
Having trouble picking a topic? You could try thinking about upcoming holidays, news events, or recent discussions you’ve had.
Toastmasters meetings are designed to give as many people as possible the chance to speak. Try to choose Table Topics speakers from members who do not have roles first!