The Sergeant at Arms calls the meeting to order at the beginning, and at the end of break.
What’s great about this role:
Have you ever wanted to bang a gavel on a lectern? Now’s your chance!
This role gives you the opportunity to work on your time management skills. It has a small speaking commitment so it’s great for newer members.
Check out these Sergeant at Arms guidance notes for an example of what to say, but feel free to get creative!
At the meeting:
- Coordinate the set up and take down of the meeting room,
- Give a one minute warning for everyone to take their seats before the meeting and at the end of the break.
During the meeting:
- Call the meeting to order at the beginning, and at the end of break.
- Inform meeting attendees about:
- Meeting etiquette (mobile phone reminder),
- Health and safety (emergency instructions, location of toilets),
- Introduce the Toastmaster.
Remember to arrive between 6:45 and 7:00pm so you can help set up!