The Ah Counter is responsible for counting filler words during the meeting.
What’s great about this role:
This role is gives your listening skills a work out!
- Prepare your role introduction.
- Consider how you will take notes for your report at the meeting. Check out this sample Ah Counter note taking form as an example.
At the meeting:
- When introduced, briefly explain your role.
- Listen and make note of how many times each person says a filler word. These include “um,” “ah,” “like,” and “you know.”
- When you give your report, aim to make a general comment on the use of filler words throughout the night.
Rather than announcing personal totals, you could offer give the totals out individually after the meeting.